The Temperance Society in Kiama had purchased land in Collins Street to provide a suitable meeting place for their members and the community. On 16th March 1876, Dr. Harman Tarrant laid the foundation stone and the building was opened on 22nd April 1878. Following the demise of the Temperance Society, the building was purchased by Lodge Kiama in May 1908. After alterations and interior fit-out the first Lodge meeting was held in this building on 4th February 1909.
The attached hall was opened on 28th February 1976. The hall being 21m x 9m with polished timber floor, kitchen and toilets. The original stone construction can be seen from the hall.
In 1986 the building was listed on the New South Wales Heritage Register as a building of state significance. It is one of only a few buildings of its type remaining in Kiama and the only one in continuous use.
Lodge Kiama No.35, United Grand Lodge of New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory is still an active Lodge operating from this building as they have done continuously since 4th February 1909.
Freemasonry had its roots in ancient Egypt and was active as a ‘trade organisation’ for stonemasons in medieval times. Since the 1700's it has welcomed a broader membership and today Freemasonry is more relevant than ever, giving men, from all walks of life, support to navigate changing times and become the best they can be, to support each other and to enhance their communities. Freemasonry is an international movement with over six million members worldwide but it works very much within the local community. It is founded on a system of knowledge that uses many ancient symbols and stories to pass on its humanitarian values and timeless wisdom. The tradition provides values that transcend materialism and complement the codes of all great faiths. Our values are non-denominational, ethical and based on deep respect for every human being. Despite many misapprehensions, Freemasonry is not a religion, a cult or a conspiracy. Nor does it have any sinister motives or practices.
Microwave, stove, dishwasher, frig, double sink.
cooling by wall fansheating by electric wall heaters
Onsite parking outside the hours of 8am to 6pm business days
The hall is adjacent to Hindmarsh Park.