In 2020 Vennu undertook national research in collaboration with Insurance Australia Group (IAG) to understand the needs of community space customers in our ‘new normal’ environment.
This Blog reflects key findings from that research and offers tips and links in one place
Customer Expectations in these 'new normal' times
The top 3 things you need to provide Guests for peace of mind are:
- A refund policy for COVID appeals to 42% of potential Guests
- Professional cleaning between events appeals to a further 23% of the market
- A clear COVID Safe plan will address the concerns of another 14%
Due to the unpredictability of COVID, events can be cancelled at short notice due to regulation changes or infections. Guests need added security to be confident in holding an event. Modifications to cancellation policies to minimise penalties and build confidence is key.
Top Tips for Hosts
- Complete your COVID Safe Plan and keep it up to date
- Develop a COVID Cancelation policy and make it clear in your Vennu listing that you have one
- Develop a COVID Contingency plan
- Tell staff, volunteers and Guests who are sick to stay home
- Make hand sanitiser and disinfectant wipes available
- Hire professional cleaners and sanitise frequently used surfaces
- Use masks as directed
- Wash your hands regularly, with soap for at least 20 seconds
- Update your Listing to promote outdoor areas, renovations and new areas
- Open your windows, doors and open-air vents to ventilate your space
- Adopt keyless locks and cashless transactions
- Keep marketing – we can help with advice on types of events to promote your space and pricing
COVID Safe Guidelines
COVID Safe Guidelines can differ for indoors and outdoors, by type of event and by state and territory. COVID Safe organisations are committed to getting back to work, to more usual ways of working, protecting the community and preventing the spread of COVID.
Make sure you are up to date with the latest details in your state or territory by referring to your government sites:
Australian Capital Territory: https://www.act.gov.au/home
New South Wales: https://www.nsw.gov.au/COVID-19/COVID-safe
South Australia: https://www.COVID-19.sa.gov.au/recovery
COVID Registers and QR Codes
In some places it is mandatory to register your business as COVID Safe. You can download related resources, e.g. checklists, templates and QR Codes.
Australian Capital Territory: https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/becoming-covid-safe#Check-In-CBR-App
Northern Territory: https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/stay-safe/check-in-app
How to apply the square metres rule
To calculate the maximum number of people allowed at your venue
Use signs, posters and stickers to everyone of expected behaviours and new standards of etiquette that will help protect us all and stop the spread of COVID. There are great examples here https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/rules/square-metres-rules
Community Space Operations
Increase Cleaning: Ensure community spaces are clean. Engage a professional cleaner and increase the frequency of cleaning between events and in high touch areas.
Sanitise surfaces: Clean tables and chairs between between use by different group to reduce the risk of contamination.
Let in air: Open windows and doors to let the outdoors in and increase ventilation through the during of an event.
Encourage safe social interactions: Encourage social distancing with signage and floor markers.
Expand to the outdoor areas: with verandahs, court yards, gardens, rotundas and renovations.
What is the latest on COVID Safe Events?
A COVID Safe Plan is a written document that details how Hosts and Guests will comply with relevant Public Health Directions and guidelines and keep staff, volunteers, and the community safe. The requirements of a COVID Safe Event Plan differ by state and territory. For the latest information follow the links below:
Australian Capital Territory: https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/home
New South Wales: https://www.nsw.gov.au/COVID-19/COVID-safe#COVID19safetyplans
Northern Territory: https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/business-and-work/business
South Australia: https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/business-and-events
This advice holds regardless of guests current vaccination status.